Wharram Tiki 21 Build

Talk about your boatbuilding and boat related projects here

Moderators: lncc, pinoypiper

Wharram Tiki 21 Build

Postby tatoski » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:05 am

Guys,

I have started to build a Wharram Tiki 21. I have prepared my build area, my tool box cum work table and bought Sta. Clara plywood. The build officially started last Tuesday when I bought the ply and made my first cut. I will post pictures soon. Thanks

Tatoski
tatoski
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Lorenzo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:20 am

Wow! :D that`s great Tatoski!

Lorenzo II
https://samaloutrigger.wordpress.com . . . Alungi bisalla, alenyap na bangsa.
Lorenzo
Captain
Captain

Postby Biel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 am

Have you lost your mind? :lol: 8) :P

Cheers mate!
Biel
Admiral
Admiral

Postby tatoski » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks Lorenzo!

Biel wrote:Have you lost your mind? :lol: 8) :P

Cheers mate!

Why Biel :?: I don't understand. Please elaborate. thanks
tatoski
Commodore
Commodore

Postby pinoypiper » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:00 am

WTG Tato!

don't mind Biel, he's just stirring up the pot as usual. :D

ayt!
pinoypiper
Commodore
Commodore

Postby tatoski » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:06 am

I have just uploaded my cam pics to Photobucket. Here are some pictures:

Converted a teachest (UK balikbayan box) into a toolbox, work table. My previous builds required hauling the tools from the stockroom inside my home and bringing back the same before retiring everyday. Wastes time and effort and brings a lot of wood and epoxy dust in the house.

Installed casters that were lying around the house for a long time. Makes good sense for a concreted and small building space.

The toolbox has two doors. One on top and one on the side. The top door would allow me to install routers or circular saws underneath this for ripping wood like a work or tool bench. The side door is the normal door to access the tools.

Next was to prepare my work area. This required clearing the garage of non performing assets. This involved selling my mini austin. It was supposed to be a project of restoring one of my alltime favorite cars until boatbuilding and sailing took center stage.

The mini was not towed away but had to be lifted using a boom truck since the car did not have brakes nor tires.

It was one of the conditions of the firstmate before I could build another one. Clear the garage! The mini was sitting there for more than two years before this scene. Whew!

Next was a trip to Toppan where Sta Clara plywood could be bought at good prices.

This is how the wholesaler looked from Araneta ave.

Loading the "best" locally available ply onto my pick up

At home with the garage clear on the mini. Building time at last!

Then the actual building. Layouting and cutting. This was my first cut. Marks the formal start of the build. This could be compared to groundbreaking ceremony of a major housing or building project.

Ply is laid out end to end. Three sheets in all.

The first cut! The monumental first cut

Done a lot of work yesterday and have cut all the sides, 4 sets total (remember this is a cat) and all bulkheads 6 x 2 hulls, 12 total. Consumed already 12 sheets of 1/4" thick ply.

Here's a pic of the bulkheads and sides (on top of the worktable)

I found my worktable/toolbox very convenient. Used to work on the floor on my previous build or have used plastic pails as props for layouting work on ply.

The boat should look something like this after 400 hours of buildtime (wharram figures)

A rendering of the boat

Will build this boat fast since I have a lot of time requiring me to work only 2 days a week (consultancy) and one day at the flowerfarm. Will post as soon as considerable progress has been made. till next time

Tatoski
tatoski
Commodore
Commodore

:)

Postby punzalane » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 am

I like the toolbox! Nice idea !

Good luck with the build :)
punzalane
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Tonji » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:52 am

Tiki 21 very nice!

Tato, I guess you are thinking of a sail to Palawan with the Tiki 21. :D
Tonji
Ship's Master
Ship's Master

Postby tatoski » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks Eric for liking it. The height is too low though. Not very ergonomic.

Tonji wrote:Tiki 21 very nice!

Tato, I guess you are thinking of a sail to Palawan with the Tiki 21. :D

That's the idea Tonj! To Bora, Port Bonbonon and beyond! During our sail to lubang and PG I felt I needed something that can go faster than 5 knots to keep up with you and Francis. So I promised myself my next build will be a cat. Can't build a big mono because of the initial cost and upkeep cost so I thought of building a cat. A cat is not bound by the max speed based on waterline length because of the slender hulls. A Tiki build allows the builder to finish his boat in a reasonable time using reasonably priced materials (read low tech) and no deck hardware (only blocks). There is no single piece of steel there except for screws and bolts and of course the rigging. Otherwise it is all wood, glass and resin.
No expensive masts, crossbeams nor keel lead. This contraption is reputed to go as fast as 10 to 13 knots. But like other cats will require different technique to tack.
tatoski
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Lorenzo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Tatoski, what is the beam width and the depth (keel to sheerline) per hull at amidship? What`s the total sail area? and what was the OB motor recommended? I am thrilled to ask many questions because there was no details found on Wharram website.

Lorenzo II
https://samaloutrigger.wordpress.com . . . Alungi bisalla, alenyap na bangsa.
Lorenzo
Captain
Captain

Postby tatoski » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Lorenzo,

The motor hp needed is 4hp longshaft 4 stroke. the beam and keel to sheer dimensions I will post tomorrow. Plans are locked in the toolbox. The Tiki will motor at around 9 knots using the said motor.

LNCC,

Thanks for lending me your thickness planer. This will make the work a lot easier for shaping lumber requiring precise dimensions.
tatoski
Commodore
Commodore

Postby kuton » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:21 am

The marine terminology for starting a boat is laying the keel. But in all our cases, it is the first cut.

Congratulations, and as you suggested, my contribution to your boat will be the trailer. I have one lying around that I will convert for your use.
kuton
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tonji » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:19 am

During our sail to lubang and PG I felt I needed something that can go faster than 5 knots to keep up with you and Francis. So I promised myself my next build will be a cat.

Tato, I think you are being very modest about the great abilities of your Angelica. But I understand the need to build has struck you again and you got the double hull boat building whammy. :D More power to you. If this new boat is anything like Angelica I am sure its going to be another fantastic boat.

I feel another long sail is coming soon.
Tonji
Ship's Master
Ship's Master

Postby emild03 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:50 am

Good start Tatoski... :D

Can't wait to see how it progresses, good luck
emild03
Bosun
Bosun

Postby tatoski » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Lorenzo wrote:Tatoski, what is the beam width and the depth (keel to sheerline) per hull at amidship? What`s the total sail area? and what was the OB motor recommended? I am thrilled to ask many questions because there was no details found on Wharram website.

Lorenzo II

The max beam is around940 mm and depth (keel to sheer) is around 762 mm. These dimensions are amidships.

Thanks kuton for volunteering to build the trailer! Thanks also for the boatnails, copper stitching wire and for lending me your long level.

Thanks Tonj for saying Angelica is capable. She really is. The boatbuilding bug bit me and I needed something to build. Something fast and not a big mono. A small cat fits the bill nicely. We'll plan something after the shakedown sail. Need to know how the boat handles. Thanks
tatoski
Commodore
Commodore

Next

Return to Member's Projects