Bangka Design

Elements and experiments in boat design

Moderators: lncc, kuton, Sqworks

Bangka Design

Postby Jules » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Hello folks.

I grew up in Davao in the 60's and 70's. Times Beach and Samal were my old playground. All the old timer fishermen at Times Beach were my friends and I'd go on their bangka boats to fish with them. Left in the early 80's and sailed most of the oceans courtesy of Uncle Sam. Retired from the great canoe club and currently teaching in high school.

I used to fish the coastal waters of southern California on my 14-ft kayak. Matter of fact a small group of us were the pioneer kayak fishermen operating out of Mission Bay over 10 years ago. Now it's a big sport.

Every year here in Oceanside, CA, we have the Harbor Days celebration. One of its highlights is a parade of boats made by amateurs...most of them look like junk but there are a few works of art. I haven't seen a bangka represented here and I am determined to do it.

I've never built a boat before but I can quickly learn. I am looking at buidling a slender, 14-16 ft bangka that would perform nicely under paddle (and maybe sail) in sheltered and open waters. I'm an avid fisherman so this boat has to be a functional design.

I would appreciate any advise. Thank you.

Jules
"A bad day of fishing beats any good day at work."
Jules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Postby Lorenzo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Jules!

I love Times beach back in the mid 70s. That place was the first body of water that I could recall vividly when I was in kindergarten school fieldtrip. I loved the sea right there and then. The place was so clean and green. That place now is crowded food establishments and residential houses, we now turn our beach activity to Samal Island... and I`m afraid, it will turn up like Davao shoreline too in 15 years to come. By that time, it is possible that my childrens` generation will turn their water activity a bit farther to the east in Davao Oriental where there are still a lot of virgin white beaches (oops :wink: this is supposed to be a secret among the Davao locals).

A fisherman`s bangka are relatively easy to build. It is just a canoe/kayak attached with double outriggers. Please read the following threads that are related to bangka designs. It will give you some ideas and a recollection of your favorite floating toy.

Traditional Boatbuilding in the Philippines

Banca - Sails, Akas, and Amas

I need a Bangka built for speed

Banca vs. Kayak

Lorenzo II
Lorenzo
Captain
Captain

Bangka Design

Postby Jules » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Thank you, Lorenzo.

Your description of Times Beach way back then brought back great memories. We used to walk to the beach on dirt trails under tall coconut trees. I remember the huge bomb craters filled with water and fish. Too bad, all that is gone now. Such is progress.

We may have run into each other back then...

Thanks again!

Jules
Jules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Postby seascout » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Welcome Jules. Would you like to try your hand on this Dory project in http://www.svensons.com/boat/ The plans are free and downloadable but you need to do some lofting.

It's shorter than your requirements but it might serve your needs. Regards.

seascout
Attachments
seascout
Captain
Captain

bangka design

Postby Jules » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:31 am

Hello, Seascout.

I'm determined to make a bangka for sentimental reasons. I'm now in the process of checking out local (US) wood canoe and kayak builders and looking for a specific design that would meet my requirements.

Thank you.

Jules
Jules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Bangka Design

Postby Jules » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:40 am

Aye, mates!

After going through your very infomative discussions here, I am starting to draw up a mental picture of how my bangka would become. This is a work in progress, so feel free to critique. Here goes the first step:

Length: 14–16 ft
Max Beam: 22-24 in
Hull Weight (w/o outriggers): Max 60 lbs
Cockpit: Open with closed flotation chambers fore and aft
Deck: Flat false bottom (floorboards) to facilitate standing and walking
Hull: Raised bow and stern, moderate to hard chine, keel line for
excellent tracking without rudder
Passenger Capacity: 1-2
Seats: Removable/mounted, no backrest
Water Type: sheltered and open, rough seas
Utility: Touring/Sailing/recreation/fishing
Power: Sail, paddle (kneeling or seating)

I found some good local canoe/kayak configurations which I may be able to use in my evolving design.

Thanks,

Jules
Attachments
Jules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Postby Mr.T » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Jules,

A few months back I was out fishing and saw this sailing banka. It was a rare sight in Nasugbo Batangas where I do most of my boating activities so I quickly got my camera and took photos of this banka. Hope this would be of help.

PS. If you look closely at the starboard side of the stern, I think you can make what could be a rudder system.

[img][img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/dylan1958/Sailing%20in%20Punta/IMG_1122.jpg[/img]
Mr.T
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bayman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 am

Very nice photos, Mr. T.! The last picture is a nice shot of the windward ama (in green) raised slightly off the surface. The small wake at the stern indicates good speed in a light wind.

Jules - you will definitely enjoy Gary Dierking's book "Building Outrigger Sailing Canoes". It includes 3 free plans. Even if you don't chose one of his designs, there's a wealth of information on build-modes, layout, materials and rigging from a renowned expert on the sailing canoe.

By the way, do you have relatives or friends in PI who own a bangka or know fishermen with one. This is also a great way to pick up tips on design and build techniques.
Tulisang Dagat ng Grand Banks
Bayman
Ship's Master
Ship's Master

Bangka Design

Postby Jules » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:05 am

Thank you Mr. T and Bayman!

Awesome photos! A few years back while onboard a warship, I saw one like this sailing bangka with a lone sailor onboard who couldn't have been more than 12 years old. We were way out in the deep off Mindanao, no sight of land and this kid was just smiling and waving at us. We dropped a crate of oranges over the side, and the young sailor deftly maneuvered his tiny boat and picked up the goodies. Then he smiled at us and gave us the V for victory sign.

Appreciate all your input and suggestions. I'll definitely get a copy of the book.

Jules
Jules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Postby Bayman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:56 am

Jules - For your interest, here is a recent topic on the Wooden Boat Forum by Geoff C. who has almost completed a Yakabo sailing canoe. Really sharp photos. This will give you some ideas on how a bangka could be done in stitch & glue plywood with epoxy and fiberglass. I like his method for building it right side up.
Tulisang Dagat ng Grand Banks
Bayman
Ship's Master
Ship's Master

Postby lncc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:41 am

Hey thanks Bayman. I've an interest in a sailing canoe though this project is on hold for now.
lncc
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

:)

Postby punzalane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 am

Bayman wrote:Very nice photos, [snip]

By the way, do you have relatives or friends in PI who own a bangka or know fishermen with one. This is also a great way to pick up tips on design and build techniques.

Hi Bayman, I can introduce you to a fishing village near Ligpo island if you wish. They make their own boats for fishing and ferrying divers.

I pass by the village regularly on my way to the dive sites..... I also have a small sailing banca which I keep in the village when I'm not using.

eric :)
punzalane
Commodore
Commodore

Bangka Design

Postby Jules » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:17 am

Interesting pics, Bayman, thanks.

Eric, would you be so kind as to post photos of your small sailing bangka so I can see how it is constructed? Thank you.

Jules
Jules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Bangka Design

Postby punzalane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Jules wrote:Interesting pics, Bayman, thanks.

Eric, would you be so kind as to post photos of your small sailing bangka so I can see how it is constructed? Thank you.

Jules

Ok....will do. I don't have photos of the banca with me but I can take some when I get a chance. If I'm not able to visit the village soon, I'll take photos of similar boats which I will encounter elsewhere :)
punzalane
Commodore
Commodore

Bangka Design

Postby Jules » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Thank you, kind sir.

Jules
Jules
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Next