Commodore

Postby Biel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:33 am

So you wanna start one too?
Biel
Admiral
Admiral

Postby pinoypiper » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 am

what do yo mean? I already did :P

it's just been a little quiet here lately. just thought it would be an interesting topic. but with the lack of replies I guess not :lol:

I actually found olaf and peter harken's year book pictures from the American International School Manila '55 and '57.

Image Image

amazing how far you can go with small plastic balls :)
Last edited by pinoypiper on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
pinoypiper
Commodore
Commodore

Postby wannabesailor » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:15 am

perhaps arvin can shift thru the archives of MYC to check if there are records of olaf and peter having been involved in it's sailing history. then we can forward it to the harken brothers the strides being made by PHBYC in the context of sailing development for homebuilts.... :)
wannabesailor
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby arvin555 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 am

hehehe! Yeah wouldnt that be nice Loi :) Actually even without the Harken brothers, as long as we keep at this and we get more people involved doing what we started, we would be written in the books of Philippine Sailing. In fact we have made a lot of historical things already, first FBW in the country is a big thing! :)

Actually you guys know George Hackett right? If I remember correctly he knew the harken brothers I think, even crewed for them before. Will ask him for more anecdotes next time.

TTFN
Arvin
arvin555
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

the home of Robert P. Beebe

Postby boatgm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:48 pm

Manila was also the home of Robert P. Beebe. Designer of "Passgemaker" and the author of Voyaging under Power
boatgm
Midshipman
Midshipman

more.....

Postby Ltinsay » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:52 am

In the late 80's and early 90's when most of you were still teen-agers, there used to be high end yachts called Lager Yachts, mostly 40' and above. They were semi-built in the Philippines.

I met the owner/designer Ron Lager many years ago in a boat show when I was looking around for a used boat. He is a yacht broker now (Lager Yacht Brokerage). He quickly spotted me from a crowd as Filipino and eagerly talked to me about his days in Bataan. He told me the hulls and rigging were made elsewhere and shipped to Bataan. Assembly and woodworks were done there by highly skilled workmen then the finished yachts were shipped again to the US. I think his business came down together with most boat manufacturers when they introduced that infamous luxury tax but he was not able to recover. He said that the Filipino woodworkers in Bataan that worked for him were the best in the world.

You can still see some of those yachts in www.yachtworld.com being sold. Search on 'Lager'. There are two of them right now.
Louis Tinsay
Ltinsay
Bosun
Bosun

Postby Tonji » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:23 pm

Hmmm big time boat building in the Phils started around 1565 or so. During the time of the Galleon trade. Over 90 percent of the boats used in the 250 years of the Galleon trade were made in the Philippines using Philippine hardwoods.

These were big ships that could carry 1000 passengers. The one way trip would take 4 months, if they were lucky.

We have a very long history of sailing and boat building. Its just not that well known.
Tonji
Ship's Master
Ship's Master

Postby jing » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:21 pm

The site initially referred at the start of this topic no longer works. Is this the same site?

http://www.harken.com/pdf/PeterHarken_R ... dTimes.pdf
Only a passionate man can pursue thoroughly. But it is the dispassionate heart that can see clearly.
jing
Captain
Captain

Postby Gundam168 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 am

If I may interject...I knew of an acquaintance who builds fiberglass boats right in the streets of Makati near Makati City Hall. He brings his finished boats to their family resthouse in Tali. I wonder if he's a member of this forum.
Gundam168
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

Return to Online Messabout