Instant Youth Sailing Program

Talk about your boatbuilding and boat related projects here

Moderators: lncc, pinoypiper

Instant Youth Sailing Program

Postby Fellow Traveler » Sun May 08, 2011 11:28 am

I began construction Friday on 3 Spindrift 10' dinghies for use by local kids here in Tambobo (aka Bonbonon) harbor, Negros to learn sailing/seamanship. We tried using sails on paddle bangkas, but the boats were just too hard to maneuver: lack of rocker in modern bangka designs, and small paddles I think. Students come from the Bright Lights Learning Centers: two local centers that teach students computers, art skills, etc. that are run by a mix of locals and transplants. Since my happiest childhood memories come from "messing about in boats", my contribution is to get the sailing program going. Wish me luck!

Doug
"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake
Fellow Traveler
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby jing » Sun May 08, 2011 11:40 am

How old are the kids? Did you involve them in building the boat? Pictures!
Only a passionate man can pursue thoroughly. But it is the dispassionate heart that can see clearly.
jing
Captain
Captain

Re: Instant Youth Sailing Program

Postby weremermaid » Sun May 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Fellow Traveler wrote:I began construction Friday on 3 Spindrift 10' dinghies for use by local kids here in Tambobo (aka Bonbonon) harbor, Negros to learn sailing/seamanship.

I weigh 96lbs, the spindrift sail area is big for this dinghy, catches the wind fast and is definitely a non-beginner boat if taken out solo by a light person. Piper's very nice nesting spindrift practically ran off with little me, had to stay alert to depower and move quickly to balance to keep from capsizing. The next time soloed, we had to partially flood it to add weight, which of course shifted in a gust and helped me capsize faster. I recently took the spindrift out in a steady 9kn, with 11-15kn gusts, with my skipper weighing at least 160lbs. I still felt we needed a bit more crew ballast to keep things more comfy.

If you want a kid-friendly and kid manageable boat design, I suggest the Optimist specially for the smaller, lighter kids under 70lbs, and the Mirror for the bigger, heavier, older kids/tweens/teens. If sailed solo, the Mirror mast can be moved to the forward mast step to use the main only and still remain efficient.

PGYC's youth sailing program has the Lawin fleet (Mirror clone), with at least 2-3 yearly regattas (All Souls, Easter, Xmas) that welcomes all other participants. MYC also has Mirrors. This design is proven, popular worldwide and an excellent choice for a local fleet. PGYC teens won the silver in the Mirror Worlds in AUS last Dec or this Jan.
weremermaid
Captain
Captain

Postby Sqworks » Sun May 08, 2011 7:32 pm

If you want a kid-friendly and kid manageable boat design

Hi Mermaid and Fellow,

I like spindrift and the sail is just right no stays...clean design.
No problem with shifting water ballast....

As I did with unstable or narrow boats
BAG O ROCKS ( sand bag is OK )

Ballast as needed... beginners gets more.

sqworks
Sqworks
Admiral
Admiral

Postby pinoypiper » Sun May 08, 2011 11:20 pm

great choice in boats Doug. the spindrift should make for a great trainer. please do post pics as these triplet dinghies come together. you might want to put inwales to give the kids a more comfortable butt rest while hiking out.
pinoypiper
Commodore
Commodore

Postby arvin555 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 am

Mermaid, you forget the the sails can be designed smaller or heck it can be roller furled. So the Spindrift is a great boat for learning how to sail.

You mentioned Optimist and Mirrors, you should have also mentioned that PHBYC does have the KOpti and the Kalyaan and plans are available as I understand it, if he chooses to consider building these as well.

Doug, I heard that there will be a regatta/race which is part of the National games, and it is going to be hosted in Bacolod, you and the kids should go there and check it out, talk to the Philippine Team and PSA members just to touch base.

TTFN
Arvin
arvin555
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

Postby Quinn » Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 am

arvin555 wrote:You mentioned Optimist and Mirrors, you should have also mentioned that PHBYC does have the KOpti and the Kalyaan and plans are available as I understand it, if he chooses to consider building these as well.

TTFN
Arvin

Are all these plans available?

How Can I get them?

Are there others?

Quinn
kapayapaan, kaligayahan at kasaganaan
Quinn
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby punzalane » Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 am

Quinn wrote:
arvin555 wrote:You mentioned Optimist and Mirrors, you should have also mentioned that PHBYC does have the KOpti and the Kalyaan and plans are available as I understand it, if he chooses to consider building these as well.

TTFN
Arvin

Are all these plans available?

How Can I get them?

Are there others?

Quinn

I agree with having a few optimists in your program Doug.........then we expand the RP "Opti" fleet..........a racing class.

Of course the Spindrift is a great choice..... one you'll never outgrow :)

Great project...!!!
punzalane
Commodore
Commodore

Postby jing » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 am

I built the fleet's latest kalayaan last year, our PHBYC mirror version, from local plans. With minor adjustments, the local improvised plans should be perfect.
Only a passionate man can pursue thoroughly. But it is the dispassionate heart that can see clearly.
jing
Captain
Captain

Postby punzalane » Mon May 09, 2011 8:27 am

jing wrote:I built the fleet's latest kalayaan last year, our PHBYC mirror version, from local plans. With minor adjustments, the local improvised plans should be perfect.

I agree....... the "mirrors" are a great choice too....and like the SD, one you'd never outgrow :)
punzalane
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Newbie Sailor » Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 am

Doug
Good luck on your noble plans of teaching kids how to sail. As a fellow educator I can relate to the birth pains and the sacrifices you must undergo.

You've come to the right place...roy owns an SD 11 and most of us have tried it and love how it handles and performs

Having said that...you made a good choice in SD 10 it's one of the most dependable and fastest out there. You'll never outgrow it. But it's really hell-o-fast. lol I suggest you power down the boat for beginners. I'm like on the heavy side and it Takes off like I was 50 Kg. Other than that i enjoy how quick it responds and i'm getting the hang of it. I learned sailing in Piper's SD 11. Maybe try a sprit rig to lessen expenses on the sails or use polytarp sails.

It is also versatile and can be used for paddling, or with OB and sail ofcourse.

Again, Good Luck and God Bless, on your worthy cause.

NS
Newbie Sailor
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby jing » Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 am

NS,
I recommed you read Doug's web site. http://www.fellow-traveler.org/
If you're heartened by his purpose, you'll be inspired by the words his stories tell.
Same thing for Al (boatgm) when you meet him in person. http://www.islandcarabao.com/index.html
jing
Captain
Captain

Postby Newbie Sailor » Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 pm

jing wrote:NS,
I recommed you read Doug's web site. http://www.fellow-traveler.org/
If you're heartened by his purpose, you'll be inspired by the words his stories tell.
Same thing for Al (boatgm) when you meet him in person. http://www.islandcarabao.com/index.html

Great read Jing thanks for the links. They are feel good stories right there. Makes you have faith again in people and in humanity in general. :)

It made me realize that I've been throwing and giving away old books and donated books when they can still be used as reference and again donated. I'll start collecting books again, my problem has always been storage as insects and that pests seem to get to them. Maybe when I have a box full of them I can give it to dough when he's back in the country.
My kids have lots of used workbooks and reference books that they discard anyway, might as well ask for them and tell them it will go to needy children.

Good Job Doug on Makalawa Island and all the other islands and people you helped along the way. It's people like you who inspire us to help and make the lives of others a lot more meaningful.

Much luck on your travels.

Jay
Newbie Sailor
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Fellow Traveler » Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 am

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! As to design: I started with the Spindrift for several reasons:

1) it is easier to build than an optimist. Yeah, looks like it should be the other way, but there it is.

2) Flexibility: the bigger, more seaworthy boat means I can put 4 kids in it for an expedition out of the harbor to a nearby beach or reef to snorkel, yet can put 1 or 2 kids in them to race and learn.

3) Personal experience. On my website, you will see an article (on the GEAR page) about building a Spindrift without plywood, just laminated flat panels of polyester/fiberglass. Nice to be here were marine ply is available and affordable!!! You will also see a pic of my dinghy with 11 people in it...all Kuna Indians (very small), mostly kids, but still...they can handle a load.

4) As noted, the sail area can be adjusted for skill and size of the sailor. We already have very small sails (sacolene/bamboo) that were build to try to sail the bangkas. We can just pop them into the Spindrifts for beginners. Will add some sacolene sails to the designed size/shape as well, with hopes of acquiring some nice dacron ones eventually.

Note: I am adding 2 inches to the freeboard to the design. I did this on the fiberglass one I made, as did several others who built them in Panama. Most owners I know say they wish they had more freeboard...but the owners I know use them as dinghies for their larger boats, and often have to haul groceries and two adults around.... Might not be needed if you use it only for a fun boat, as getting splashed is part of the fun. If waters are choppy in your area, though, it is a modification worth considering. Be sure to think through how to do this! Simplest method to avoid mistakes is to draw the plans out full size, then continue the lines up: thus, extending the existing stem lines and the transom corners up along the existing lines. You will end up with a boat slightly longer and wider, but having the exact same shape as the original but just more freeboard.

To show how popular the Spindrift is among world cruisers, there are currently 3 in the harbor in Tambobo/Bonbonon. At least one will be used by the program, and mine could be converted to sailing easily, giving us 5 total in short order.

The Mirror/Kalayaan looks like a nice design with it's sloop rig. The Opti is, of course, the quintessential trainer, and I would love to see some added to our "fleet" one day. The nice thing about an Opti is even a little kid can sail his own boat, not buddy up with a bigger kid (although the Spindrift will do that too, with a smaller sail rig). Ultimately, though, the deciding factors were getting the most kids on the water having fun for the least work/expense.

The "students" are not involved with building the dinghies, mostly because I am building them on an acquaintance's property, and he does not want a group of energetic kids running around it. However, I have hired two former "students" , 16 and 18, with some carpentry experience, to help me build them quickly. The sailing program is loosely associated with the learning centers started by some cruisers and some locals about 8 years ago and still running. A basic sailing/swimming/rowing program existed one year with these two kids taking part, but the person who taught it sailed on. I intend to stay.

BTW, anyone visiting Negros Oriental (any members located here already?) with some spare time who wants to come visit the harbor, contact me in advance and we can set something up. Sail training will soon move to Saturdays only in June with the return of school, of course. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get to Tambobo from Dumaguete.

Fair Winds!

Doug
"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake
Fellow Traveler
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby lncc » Sun May 15, 2011 9:41 am

Nice going there Fellow Traveller.
lncc
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

Next

Return to Member's Projects